Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Greens in the Debate

I'm torn about letting Elizabeth May into the Canadian Federal Debate but don't think this should be the issue it is - in other words, no skin off my nose whether she's allowed-in or not. Here's my thinking:

1. The Green Party do field candidates in every riding. But so did the Rhinos in the 70's and early 80's and surely other parties such as the Communist Party, at some point fielded candidates in every riding. So I don't know that this meets the test either way - there's no slam dunk.

2. The Green Party hasn't won a riding in Canada in any election. This is a clear fact that makes it easy to keep them out. It's a no-brainer. I cannot be convinced that not being in a debate has eliminated their ability to win a seat - I think bad policy and a muddled message have done that.

3. The Bloc is allowed in so why not let the Greens in. Exactly. A regional party who's aim is to disband the country is permitted in the National Leaders debate, even though they don't field candidates outside of Quebec. So...it's not like the debate has  a record of holding high requirements for entry.

4. They let Preston Manning in prior to Reform winning seats. Again, precedent stands - what's the big deal?

5. Too many cooks spoil the broth. Harper versus Dion and Duceppe and Layton and May !? Sounds like a law firm not a debate. Imagine all the squalking - If she gets in, May win the whole thing  be polite and by not saying one word out of turn.

6. Further splintering of the Left only helps the Tories. This is my own personal reason. I don't see much of a difference between the Liberals and the Greens except for the Liberal brand which has been tainted but has a hugely rich history as the Party of Lester B Pearson and Pierre Elliot Trudeau. The Greens are a mix of bitter ex-New Democrats and Liberals as well as an odd collection of libertarians and those who just wish they lived in Europe. Instead of changing existing parties by involving themselves, supporters of the Greens like an imaginary world where there are no conflicting interests and that we build all new policy consultatively.

7. This is actually where I prefer the American system. In limiting to 2 parties and independants, each party is forced to accomodate a wide-spectrum of views within, rather than be out-flanked. Both parties must accomodate viewpoints driven from the grassroots - this is how the Republicans have become a Big Government party while the Democrats have become about efficiency and centrist economic policy. I'm not saying that's what we need but without electoral/legislative reforms (ie without proportional representation) more parties will lead to unstable governments and more elections, not that I have an objection to elections per se.

I think Dion is being fair again - which will hurt him again unfortunately and plays into Harper's strategy to convince people that there would be two Liberal leaders at the debate. The Liberals should not concede ridings to the Greens - even to their leader. We ought not to flood May's riding with workers and money but we should field a candidate. Ceding ground says that the Liberals are not the Ruling Party and are not convinced that their plan for Canada is the best one. As a Liberal, I say let May stand up for herself on her Party's own two legs - once they find them.

So in my classic style, I've outlined some of my main issues with the National Leaders debate and the decision to not include Elizabeth May. I can't decide what I think but I'd love to hear comments. 

No comments: