Thursday, January 7, 2010

Change is constant

So....Last time I posted (It's Alive) I believed I was heading back to Toronto to work for Mayoral Candidate Glen Murray. How a few months can change things.

I'm now most likely heading back to Toronto to work for Toronto Centre Liberal Candidate Glen Murray. Glen's a personal friend and mentor and also a big fan of mine (they're out there here and there, lol.) I'm very excited for the opportunity. Most likely there will be a job to follow at Queen's Park but of course that's also reliant on the voters in Toronto Centre electing Glen to the office of MPP. I'm confident that will be the case but politics is a crazy business. The NDP appointed candidate is a worthy opponent and a long-time Street-nurse and homeless advocate. That said, Glen's record of creating affordable housing in Winnipeg should reduce some of that impact.

In the meantime, I continue to blog, to enjoy my time with my mother and father as mom undergoes treatment for Colon Cancer, including surgery that is scheduled for January 19th. We're all praying for her and I thank everyone for their encouragement and friendship during this trying time.

As I prepare to go back to work in politics a number of thoughts occur to me. First, I'm less convinced of any policy position than ever before. I've never been one to cling to dogma, other than a belief that reason should come before passion but that one should have a passion for reason - hence why I've always thought of myself as a Trudeau Liberal. I believe in a strong public sector and a social safety net. However I also know that small business creates the bulk of jobs in our economy. Lastly, I know full well that work in politics is not about my views but about the views of those I work for.

I also prepare to return with a better understanding of the challenges that people in our society face. When I had lots of money, when I was married to a wealthy family, I became less in-touch with the part of me that believes in giving people a hand up in hard times. Sometimes that also means giving a hand-out. It was easy to not consider those who had less when I had everything. Now that I have to build everything back up from scratch and get out of serious debt, I hope to maintain a perspective that not everyone has it as easy as I do. If I can be unemployed for 10 months, then logically there are many, many people in our society who face difficulty finding meaningful work.

Having lost many of my possessions (or at least living with them in boxes) I also know that I need much less to be happy and that I must find happiness in life, rather than in things. And I also know that I have to be better with my money and get out of debt as quickly as possible. Clothes don't make the man, they just make him look better!

That's all for now. I look forward to getting back into the swing of things. I look forward to having a drive to get up earlier and go to work rather than sleeping far too late and staying up far too late. I look forward to getting together with so many of the people I've met online over the last few months, to getting off the couch more often than I did before moving back and basically, to rebuilding a life of excitement, culture, friends and family.

OK. That's it for now. Peace out!

No comments: